Login to Complete an Application or to Access Judging Panel
About the Property Management Association Apartment Community Excellence Awards
PACE enables property management professionals to “strut their stuff,” recognize their team members and show firsthand their management prowess. PMA has established criteria that will only honor truly exceptional properties, and only one award will be presented in each category. Property teams and management companies participating in PACE receive multiple benefits, including:
- Teambuilding: Entering the PACE Awards provides a huge shot of adrenaline to your onsite team. It sends a message that you appreciate their efforts and believe that their performance is award-worthy. Few, if any, property management programs can boost morale and improve performance more than participating in PACE.
- Increase occupancies: PMA will develop a case study of each winner that showcases why the community was honored. Winners’ profiles will appear on PMA’s website. Winners can also use profile in their advertising, social media and on their websites to help drive prospective residents to their communities.
- Benchmarking excellence: PACE will establish benchmarks for excellence in property management that can be used by all participants to improve the quality of management service provided to residents and owners. If the minimum standard for an award category is not reached, an award is not be presented in that category.
2023 PACE Awards Timeline
- April 5 - June 9, 2023: PACE Entry Period
- July 11 - August 31, 2023: PACE Evaluation Period. PACE evaluations will be conducted onsite with a SURPRISE visit from a pair of PACE judges. PACE visits take place Tuesday through Friday, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. PACE visits will not take place during the first seven days of the month or on holidays.
- November 29, 2023: PMA's Awards Ceremony - Celebrating Excellence in The Property Management Industry (PACE, Maintenance Professional, Leasing Professional, Marketing & Advertising Excellence and EPIC Awards Presented)
- Download the 2023 PACE Prep Kit
- Watch the April 2023 PACE Orientation
- Download 2023 PACE Orientation Slide Deck
- Review a Sample PACE Score Sheet
- View 2022 PACE Award Winners
PMA takes the following factors into consideration when categorizing entries to ensure that properties are competing with comparable assets:
- Property Type:
- Lease-Up (communities less than one year old or that have not stabilized yet)
- Market Rate (stabilized communities assessing the prevailing monthly cost for rental housing within the free market for at least 75% of units)
- Senior (55+ communities that are at least 75% senior, including affordable, market-rate and mixed-income communities)
- Affordable (communities participating in a government funded, insured or otherwise sponsored program that results in rent that are below market-rate for at least 75% of units)
- Year Built:
- Vintage (properties constructed prior to 1990)
- Location: DC, MD or VA (Note, PACE boundaries go as far north as Columbia, MD, as far south as Woodbridge, VA, as far east as Annapolis, MD and as far west as Leesburg, VA. Communities outside of the published borders, e.g., Baltimore, Frederick, etc., may apply, but acceptance is subject to receiving at least four entries in that sub-market.)
- Average Rental Rate (as reported by the property during the application process)
PACE Entry Fees
Ends Apr 23
Ends May 14
Entry fees are due within 30 days of receipt of invoice. In keeping with PMA's Event and Program Policies, PACE Award entries may be withdrawn or transferred but are not refundable. All requests for transfer must be made more than 30 days prior to scheduling of evaluation/consideration and/or 90 days prior to the event at which award winners will be announced. Additionally, any community that is unavailable for evaluation after receipt of proper notice will forfeit the opportunity to participate in the competition, and entry fees will not be waived/refunded.
Learn More About PMA's Other Awards Programs
- PMA's Marketing and Advertising Excellence Awards program is for everyone involved in the marketing, promotion, and management of multifamily, commercial and retail properties and offers benefits for everyone who enters. MAE Award entries are due September 1, 2023. Visit pma-dc.org/marketing-and-advertising-excellence-mae-awards to learn more.
- PMA's EPIC Awards honor outstanding individuals and companies within the PMA membership community. EPIC Award nominations are due September 1, 2023. Visit pma-dc.org/epic-awards to learn more and submit a nomination.
- PMA’s Maintenance Professional Awards program recognizes the outstanding performance of maintenance and operations technicians and teams in several categories. Maintenance Professional Awards entries were due June 30, 2023. Visit pma-dc.org/maintenance-professional-awards to learn more.
- PMA’s Leasing Professional Awards establishes benchmarks for leasing excellence and will helps improve conversion ratios and overall presentation quality of your leasing team. Leasing Professional Awards entries were due June 30, 2023. Visit pma-dc.org/events/2023-leasing-professional-awards-program-nomination to learn more.